At Carpet Cleaning Melbourne, we see a lot of stained, dirty and otherwise damaged carpets. While we love restoring carpets to their original beauty, there are many times when the damage could be prevented. That being said, here are some ways that you can give your carpet a longer life:
- Have protective mats or rugs placed in high traffic areas and doorways. These mats will catch a lot of the dirt over the years and prevent it from being tracked all over the house. Ground in dirt in high traffic areas is what makes a carpet look dirty before it’s time. If you get new carpet, also buy some extra carpet to bind into mats; these mats will look much less obvious than ones that you buy separately.
- We have said this before, but the best way to give carpets a long life is to vacuum as frequently as possible. This prevents dirt from being ground in and actually making the carpets harder to clean, even for professionals. Remove stains as quickly as possible. Once they set in, you may have to have your carpet professionally cleaned to remove the stains.
- Don’t use store bought carpet cleaners on carpet stains. They usually contain some form of bleach in them. There are many natural stain removers that you can use that are safer. See our article, “Some Common Household Carpet Stains and How to Clean Them,” here on our website for more information on stain removal.
- Have your carpet professionally cleaned once a year by Carpet Cleaning Melbourne! All right, all kidding aside, you do need to have your carpets professionally cleaned at least once a year for two reasons:
1. Cleaning carpets once a year preserves the color consistency.
2. Professionally cleaning the carpet once a year gets out the deep down dirt, which destroys the backing as well as the fibers of the carpet.